Thread: Limiting oversized EPG files

Elite Vip
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Limiting oversized EPG files

I would like to kindly ask all external EPG providers for BH if it is possible to limit the size of their EPG.dat files?
    By limiting i don't mean literally limiting size in MB, but limiting EPG content to 2-3 days.

Let me try to explain.
    Since i do record a lot, i like to browse EPG from various packages, find what i want and schedule event. That's all right if i stick to one package, but i suppose most of us are watching/recording from more than one package. So if i for example download SkyUk, Skyit, and Ex-Yu epg there is a 99% probability my box will crash. Sometimes even after i load one provider with huge epg file size. It's understandable really, memory is not unlimited.

But, if we limit EPG events to 2 or 3 days EPG file will be 50-70% smaller and we will not have any crashes. Not to mention it will ease the load on EPG providers. I don't know what software you're using to generate EPG file, but e2loadepg by Ambrosa has an option to set how many days you want EPG to generated. I'm using this on Krkadoni EPG server, limited to 3 days, have 50 channels EPG in less than 500 kb.

If you don't like idea of limiting EPG to 2-3 days, would you consider making another, "light" version EPG file for each provider?

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Another way would be to include the option of importing X number of days of full description in the EPG 'import plugin'. The MiLo/Rytec XMLTV import plugin has this feature. With this you can limit your import to 2/3 days while I can still enjoy 7 or more days from a single EPG.dat file.

Not sure who would take care of this in the Dream Elite images, I'm a newbie but a former user of the MiLo image and MiLo/Rytec XMLTV import plugin.

Edit:
    BTW, I have the same problem (enigma sometimes crashing) when downloading the Rytec_benluk data file (1766 kB); I'm using Dream Elite BH 1.0 DM7025/ Meoboot with Dream Elite DM7025 Pure Flash 1.0 in flash. Using the Rytec_benl and Rytec_uk dat files combined does not cause any problems.
    Last edited by WOIIFTM; 10th February 2010 at 12:54.

Elite Vip
    Post Thanks / Like

Shamefull :BUMP:

Fell our pain

Post Thanks / Like

I'm downloading these three sky uk, sky it, ex-yu and it did not crashes -but i notice it is slownig a little bit ( look just now and size of epg.dat is around 12,5mb).
    One of options maybie to put on servers two versions for download (2days epg and full epg for each provider) so everybody can choose whath to download
    Last edited by Zupy; 13th February 2010 at 20:54.
    VU+ Duo
    Azbox Elite HD
    DigiTV HR Full
    Triax multifeed 1W+5E+9E+13E+16E+19E+23,5E
    Triax 88 + Opticum DM2800

Post Thanks / Like

What is the problem with 7 day ?

I download and yes it takes time but it works.

Never had a crash or any other problem.

Are you running the image in flash ?

Where are you saving data ? USB or HDD ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WOIIFTM View Post
    Edit:
    BTW, I have the same problem (enigma sometimes crashing) when downloading the Rytec_benluk data file (1766 kB); I'm using Dream Elite BH 1.0 DM7025/ Meoboot with Dream Elite DM7025 Pure Flash 1.0 in flash. Using the Rytec_benl and Rytec_uk dat files combined does not cause any problems.
    Problems solved after installing the Black Hole swap file update for DM7025: http://www.dream-elite.net/forum/sho...H1-0-Swap-file

Elite Vip
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for getting back to you this late.

Thank you all for your suggestions. But i already have USB stick attached to my DM800 and swap of 128 permanently activated from the day one. Swap is never used.
    Since i was occupied with another project, i did not check current status so i can not say if this is still happening.

Anyway, once again, many thnx for the support.

Regards.